Vegan and gluten free chocolate mousse!
This vegan aquafaba chocolate mousse is so simple and easy to make, yet it's one of the most decadent and rich dessert you'll have. It's vegan and grain-free and the best part is there's no added sugars.
*Video tutorial at bottom*
So wtf is aquafaba? Sounded like a foreign drink to us. It's actually the water leftover in a can of chickpeas and it's a great egg substitute!! Who knew. The recipe makes about 4 servings, or less depending on how much of a chocolate lover you are. Ours made literally 1. Our mom ate the entire thing.
So to begin...
Separate chickpeas from aquafaba (water in can) and put in freezer for 10 minutes.
Pour aquafaba into mixing bowl and beat for 10-12 minutes, or until stiff, with an electric mixer. You should be able to turn the bowl upside down and have the mixture stay put.
Microwave chocolate in in a microwave safe bowl, stirring every 30 seconds until fully melted. Gradually pour the chocolate into the aquafaba and continue mixing.
Stop mixing and add cocoa powder.
Scoop mixture into bowls and put in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
1/2 cup aquafaba from 1 can unsalted chickpeas
1/2 cup dark chocolate or chocolate chips
1-2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
How to Make:
1. Place the can of chickpeas in the freezer for 10 minutes. This helps with the consistency when you mix it later on.
2. Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and melt in 30 second increments. Once fully melted, set aside to cool.
3. Open the can of chickpeas and add the aquafaba to a large bowl.
4. Use an electic beater to beat the aquafaba on high until its stiff. This should take about 10-12 minutes. Your aquafaba should be beaten and stiffened up so much that if you flip the bowl upside down it stays in place or sticks to the beaters when lifted up.
5. Pour the cooled chocolate into the aquafaba mixture as you continue beating the aquafaba.
6. Stop beating and put the cocoa powder in. Continue beating until combined.
7. Pour or spoon mousse int 2 small containers and place in fridge for 30 minutes.
Xo, Avo a Day