Homemade vegan, gluten free butternut squash ravioli
We've always thought making pasta by hand was reserved for the Italians or New York's little Italy chefs....I mean restaurants with their perfect dough sheets created with those pasta rolling machines are hard to beat. But hey, life is about exploring pasta-bilities! We're also on our fourth week of quarantine and who knows if we'll ever get to have delicious pasta from Little Italy, or big Italy for that matter, so we decided we needed to start perfecting our Italian pasta making abilities ASAP.
We probably should have started with something easier than butternut squash ravioli but shockingly, it turned out to be extremely easy and fun on the first try. The ravioli tasted great and our parents actually asked for seconds. And second day leftovers (toasted raviolis) were a game changer.
Combine brown rice flour, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, salt, water, olive oil in a bowl.
Beat with electric mixer until dough forms.
Cut up butternut squash into 1/2 inch chunks and put on a baking sheet with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes.
Blend baked squash with vegan cream cheese (we used Kite Hill cream cheese).
Put gluten free flour on a flat surface.
Take a small chunk of dough and roll out thinly. Cut excess dough so that you are left with a rectangle.
Cut rectangle into smaller 2 inch squares and put a dollop of filling into the center of a dough square. Use water to wet all four edges of the dough square and place another square on top of the filling, sealing all four sides with a fork.
Boil water and cook ravioli's for 1-2 minutes or until they float to surface of water (they don't take long).
1.5 cups any gluten free flour (if your flower has xanthan gum in ingredients, do not add more)
2/3 cup tapioca or arrowroot starch
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup warm water
4 tbsp olive oil, divided
Butternut squash filling:
1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
2-4 cloves garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup dairy free cream cheese
1. Combine flour, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, and salt in a mixing bowl.
2. Using an electric mixer, start mixing the dry mixture, add warm water and two tbsp of the olive oil while mixing.
3. Mix for 2 minutes until dough is fully combined. If it is not, add remaining olive oil gradually. If dough is still too dry, add another tbsp of warm water.
4. Peel butternut squash. Cut in half and remove the seeds and strings. Then cut butternut squash into 1/2 inch chunks.
5. Put chunks on baking sheet with garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix everything together and spread out evenly on sheet.
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes at 425 degrees.
7. Once cooled, place butternut squash and cream cheese in blender and blend until smooth (alright to add a tsp of water if it wont blend).
8. Put flour on a flat surface and roll out dough thinly into a rectangle.
9. Cut excess dough to obtain a clean rectangle and cut rectangle into 9 two inch squares.
10. Take one rectangle and a tbsp of filling in the center. Dip your finger and water and wet the edges of the square. Place another dough square on top of filling and seal with fingers.
11. Press tip of fork into edges to firmly seal.
12. Boil water on stove and place 5-7 ravioli's in at a time for 1-2 minutes. The ravioli should rise to surface when done.
13. Top with ghee, vegan parmesan, and enjoy!
Xo, Avo a Day